Wednesday, July 22, 2009

One big circle

Last year on this day Ralph and I went to get my free dinner at Provinos. I did not realize it, but I was going to have Sylvie in 10 days. I ordered my free entrée, ate half of it and then felt like I had stuffed a 20lb ball into my stomach. I was so full with food and baby I thought I was going to give birth right there. It was horrible.

Birthdays have a whole different meaning after you have a child. When I had birthdays before Sylvie, I never thought about how much I had accomplished in one year, or how quick the year had gone by, what I would be doing the next year in my life, or even what I had done the year before. I guess I lived in the present. Now I am thinking about how quick this year went by, I have had a child this whole time. I keep thinking about what I was doing last year at this time, I didn’t even know if Sylvie was going to be a boy or a girl! My how things change. Everyone says things will change after you have a baby, but you just cannot explain this in full until you have a child. It is amazing how EVERYTHING changes. Your body, your mind, your memory, what you think about, what you eat. Everything down to the size shoe you wear. I struggled a little with this at first, I felt like I didn’t even know who I was, because everything had changed so drastically and so quickly. I felt that after Sylvie was born everything had changed and I felt like I should not be the same person. I felt like I should be different, and I was different. But even though everything had changed, I was still the same person. I am still Karen. Now I am just also mama.

This year we went to Provinos agian. I got my free dinner and felt the same as I did last year- except with a beautiful child (along with my handsome husband) to share it with.

3 comments:

Heather said...

your shoe size went up? the other day i tried on a pair of shoes (that were not reefs) and they still didn't fit. I was hoping that my feet were still swollen or something. BOO!

i hope you had a great birthday yesterday and sorry we can't make the drive-in. next year though, the mansfield's will be back...plus one.

Jenn Weber said...

Karen,
That is the sweetest story! My eyes got all watery reading it! It was great to see you at lunch this week and I'm so happy we are friends! I can't wait to watch Sylvie grow older -- I just hope she keeps those cheeks!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written Karen...from your proud Dad!